Hamilton County Prosecutor Connie Pillich announces indictment in death of 7-year-old

Hamilton County Prosecutor Connie Pillich announces indictment in death of 7-year-old

A Hamilton County grand jury today indicted three people in connection with the death of a 7-year-old Oakley boy, who was found dead inside an Oakley apartment after investigators uncovered evidence of prolonged and severe abuse.


Kaitlin Evans, the child’s mother, along with Nessa Keaney and Nathan Rankin, AKA Kirby Rankin, were indicted on a 13-count indictment, including one charge of aggravated murder, four charges of murder, one charge of kidnapping, one charge of felonious assault, four charges of child endangering and two charges of conspiracy.


The child was found Aug. 6 inside a closet at an apartment on Madison Road. Investigators said he had been restrained with duct tape.


The Hamilton County Coroner’s Office determined the child died of blunt force trauma to the head. The autopsy also revealed numerous other injuries. Investigators believe the child was subjected to severe abuse over a period of several weeks before his death.


“This child was failed by the adults who were supposed to protect him,” said Hamilton County Prosecutor Connie Pillich. “The child was only 7 years old. He was vulnerable, he was dependent on the adults around him, and he deserved to be protected from harm. Instead, he endured horrific abuse and ultimately lost his life.”


Evans, Keaney and Rankin lived with the child and acted as co-parents.


“This case has been heartbreaking and deeply disturbing from the beginning,” Pillich said. “Nothing can undo what happened to the child, but we can make sure his death is fully investigated and that those responsible face the consequences in court.”


The charges carry a possible life prison sentence without the possibility of parole.